“Had I been playing some abla naari in Raajneeti, I would have gone unnoticed” – Shruti Seth

Shruti Seth has come out of her closet that of a girl-next-door with the film Raajneeti, in the role of a woman party worker. Her bold scenes opposite Arjun Rampal in the film for sure made critics talk about her. The girl who started her career with modeling strongly believes that this has just been the stepping stone in her life.

In an interview, the actress candidly spoke about the reaction of the people around her, after the release of the film.

How has been the response for your bold role in Raajneeti?

Overwhelming, I had never expected that such a small character will stand out when there are so many top-line stars in the film. I must say, it was Prakashji’s intention to surprise the audience. After watching the film, my fans have tried reaching me through mails, Facebook page and other networking sites to comment on my work. This has happened for the first time in my career spanning 10years.

How did Prakash Jha convince you to do this role?

Worst thing about this industry is that we work for a character and not as an actor. But after listening to Prakashji I agree with him that one should keep shocking their audience so as to get noticed by them, otherwise if you keep doing same kind of roles you get lost in the crowd. Had I been playing some abla naari kind of character in the film, I don’t think anyone would have noticed me, as it has always been in the subliminal thought process of the audiences, that I would play some girl-next-door kind of role. But, when I shock them by doing something what is not expected of me, it rings the bell. So, everytime an actor should do something different from what they have done previously.

How did your parents react?

My parents knew about my role in Raajneeti, without informing them I would not have done the film. My mother is proud of me, as she believes with this film I have proved my mettle as an actress. Like others my friends were also in state of shock and I had to explain them that if I play a role of thief, I don’t become one.

What was the best compliment you received?

It was when Prakashji called me his bravest actor. I had lot of apprehensions doing the role initially that I went upto him and told, if anything goes wrong I will have to do lot of damage console. To which he answered explaining me that either you be an actor or you pretend to be an actor and play all the safe roles. He further explained that if you do not re-invent the actor in you, people will forget you. I got to see the film during premiers only. Trust me, I was not getting sleep for several nights, until the film released. All the time, I would only think of, is there anything gone wrong about which I can’t do anything now, but the other day when I read reviews in newspapers, I was happy to read the special mention of my role.

She goes on…

The upcoming director Vinay Shukla, who will be debuting this year, SMSed me saying that had there been any lesser actor in this role, would have caricatured and ruined the character. This film certainly is a biggest pay of my career.

What kind of apprehension you are talking about?

I was scared of press, audience and film critics. It was a role about which people could have easily written that there was no need for such a character in the film, but I am glad that they appreciated me.

How did Arjun Rampal comfort you with the scene?

With all due respect to veterans, I would say that the new generation actors are more professional. They have no inhibitions about doing any kind of scenes, as they all look forward to make a good quality film. This does not mean it was easy for us to give such a shot on camera but I must say it was Prakashji who made us all give our best.

So, what kind of roles would you like to do hence?

I kind of gauge role before taking up in terms of what difference the role that I am offered would bring to the storyline of the film, if it is removed. If the story of the film changes with the removal of that one character I accept the role, irrespective of the length, the film and the kind of scenes it requires.

So would you continue with TV…

I will continue doing everything what I have been doing so far, right from modeling to hosting, to serial, to films. Television makes you bloody rich but the shooting schedule are so hectic that even if you are dying, they will shoot you from your grave. Owing to which even film producers hesitate to approach TV-actors to avoid date problems. That’s why many talented actors of television lose on good works in films.

Coming back to TV, your show Rishta.com is coming to an end, as it could not garner TRP.

I am very upset. I would not blame the concept of the serial or the audience but the marketing team of the show. They did not promote the show well and it could not reach to the audience we were targeting on. Also, the time slot was ridiculous. When our Indian audience is use to going out on weekends what is the point in having the show’s airtime at 8’oclock on Sundays and also when on week-days people hit the bed early, as they have to rush for work the next morning, how can you gather audience for the show airing at 11’oclock on week-days. Still, I maintain that this is the best show I have ever done on TV. People abroad liked the show very much but what is the use when our Indian audience for whom we had brought this show did not watch it. Rejection is last thing when talking of this show as people were not even made aware of it.

What’s in pipeline?

I am doing a film called ‘My Friend Pinto’ which is Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s production. The film also stars Kalki Koechlin and Prateik Babbar. The film has many sub-plots, and is directed by Raghav Dar.

Which are the five high-points in your career?

Sharaarat - It was popular among the kiddos so much that they would expect me to do magic by snapping fingers.

Channel V - I always wanted to be a Veejay, I don’t know why. So becoming one was somthing that I had asked for and I was granted.

Comedy Circus – People would generally address me as Jiya from Sharaarat but after this show they got to know me by my real name.

Rishta.com – The show is written and directed my brother, apart from that it was also special to me as it is the superior quality show ever aired on Indian channel.

Raajneeti – With this film I have broke the big mould around me as an actor. I had actually challenged myself by accepting and doing this role.

0 comments: